The Privilege Of Giving Thanks

23.11.11






Sweater - made by my Babcia; Infinity scarf/hood - Smart Set; Shorts - Ruche; Tights - H&M; Boots - Feet First.

Continuing with the Toronto Star's focus on childbirth around the world, today we talk about Afghanistan.  I was reading the article when this sentence struck me like baseball bat to the back of the heart, "In this benighted nation, a woman dies in childbirth every 29 minutes."  This country has the world's highest maternal mortality rate.

Then right on the heels of that came this: One out of every five children dies before its fifth birthday.  The maternal mortality rate is 10 times higher than the number of civilians killed in conflict annually."  This is just the cusp of the harsh and cruel reality that faces women there everyday.  During this week of Thanksgiving for our friends south of the border, I join them in giving thanks that I live in such a privileged place.

Tomorrow's Daily Challenge:
Whether in the U.S. or not, today give thanks for 10 things you have.

7 thoughts:

  1. I am in love with your tightsss!! also, you and your daughter are ah-dorable! :)
    Lovely Little Rants

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! That's so sweet. I think she's pretty cute too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely post. As a woman with three children, ages 11, 6 and 4, I am thankful for having them in my lives everyday. These photos are so sweet with your little miss. Enjoy your holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures and I love your look. Very pretty.

    http://shannonhearts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my goodness, i love every single thing about this outfit. everything just works so well together and i love the tights!
    xx sylvie

    http://legoldenrose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. @sylvie Thank you so much! You're so sweet. I'm so glad you like the outfit.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ModaMama All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger