I Got Hit By A Car

23.7.13



Tee - NowhereBad  //  Shorts, Sunnies, & Yellow Bracelet - F21  //  Shoes - Payless // Black cuff - Ebay

That's right.  You read that right.  Just about 30 minutes before I took this photo I got hit by a car.  I was whizzing along on that bike of mine when an idiot car performed a last minute and illegal right turn with about half a second of warning from his blinker.  I immediately hit my brakes and turned my bike into the car so that I hit and slid along the vehicle instead of hitting it straight on at full speed and flipping over the rear windshield.

As soon as I did a quick diagnostic and ascertained that I was fine, as was my bike, I started yelling at the idiot driver.  He of course was full of excuses.  But I just kept yelling at him explaining every thing he did wrong - and there was a lot of things he did wrong.  I know because I am not only a pedestrian, but a cyclist, and a driver.  I know.  Oh I know.  And I wanted him to know that next time his actions could very well kill someone. 

Maybe yelling wasn't the best course, but it's my reaction to a scare like that.  Because I was momentarily scared and prepping in an instant to use all my Kung Fu fall training to hopefully survive that man's mistake.

What is sad is he did this illegal turn because he was probably rushing to get to where he was going and thought this quick shortcut would get him there 30 seconds faster.  30 seconds.  Hopefully, he won't value those 30 seconds as much next time. 

Or at least looks in his friggin' side view mirror first!

p.s.  I'm okay.  I've just got one gruesome bruise on my hip.

25 thoughts:

  1. So glad you are okay, that would be so scary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOSH!!!! I'm so sorry. My husband went to VT and one time he got hit by a car and it ate his bike but he was okay and the guy bought him a brand new bike. O_O scary!!! I'm so glad you are okay!! I used to bike everywhere in blacksburg (where VT is) but now I live somewhere else and I can't bike. There are no bike lanes and people here have nooo idea what to do when there is a biking person. Seriously. Well, your outfit is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least he got a new bike! It scares me how inattentive people are when driving. It's a lethal weapon after all.

      Delete
  3. Ugh... People don't realize how 1 stupid decision could potential ruin lives! Happy to hear you're okay and that you didn't let him off the hook too easy... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of the things I yelled. "You could've killed me!" Hopefully he'll realize the danger.

      Delete
  4. So glad you are ok!! That's a pretty catching title to a post too!!
    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ;) I wish it wasn't so catchy...it's more just true right? But yeah, it does make you stop and pay attention.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad it all turned out okay! I would start yelling as well!

    XO Imke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. It was either that or crying from the shock!

      Delete
  6. I'm glad you're ok! How scary!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yeah it all happened so fast too.

      Delete
  7. I'm so glad you're ok. Good for you for giving him a piece of your mind. I would have done the same - once I stopped crying, that is. If it had been a different cyclist, it could have killed them! I am so happy that you are ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Me too. Thank goodness for my quick kung fu reflexes that just act without thinking!

      Delete
  8. Oh gosh, glad you are ok! I would have been furious - so many drivers just are not aware of cyclists, hopefully that driver learnt a lesson!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my ope as well since this time it turned out okay. It's the next time that he and the cyclist may not be so lucky

      Delete
  9. Oh my, how scary! Glad you're ok! I think yelling sounds like a pretty darn reasonable response!

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yikes, how scary! Glad you're okay. I think yelling sounds like a pretty restrained response, given the circumstances!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh trust me, I felt like ripping him a new one. And I can too since I've got Kung Fu skills.

      Delete
  11. that's horrible! i'm so glad you're okay though. do you wear a helmet? they have some pretty cute ones out there now--it might be worth it to go that extra mile in safety precaution!


    -leeds
    at this volume

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you can't see it because I'm sitting right in front of it But if you look closely at the picture of me in front of the bike, you'll see on the left side of me (near the waist) a tiny bit of red peaking through. That's my bright red bike helmet.

      Oh don't worry! I never ride without it!!

      Delete
  12. How awful! I'm sorry that happened. Glad you are okay though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. All in all it was a pretty tame and positive accident. In that, no one got seriously hurt you know?

      Delete
  13. Wow, I think I would be yelling too.

    Btw, do you take your pictures by yourself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I do. I take all my photos with a remote control and a tripod. Occasionally I use my husband as a human tripod. In that, I set up the camera, tell him where to stand, show him the framing I want, and then he just hits the button. But mostly (90%) it's me and the tripod and remote.

      Delete

Let me know your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ModaMama All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger