First Sewing Project: Letting Down A Hem

3.1.12



Here's my sewing machine.  It's a Brother LS-30.  The model is two years old, but the machine itself it brand new.  And so far it's been really fun to use.  I had some frustration with the bobbin and how to insert, latch and thread it, but once I figured it out it was easy.

For my first sewing project I tackled the hem of this dress.  I had lamented that I really like this Ruche dress but that I felt it was too short for me.  And as many of you stated, it's not too short, but it does come down to my comfort; so I decided to use my fancy new machine to address this little issue.

I first had to remove the whole hem since it was sewn together.  Then I ironed it flat, sewed it back onto the dress with a finishing stitch so that it doesn't fray, and then turned up and hemmed the bottom.  And done!  Now my dress is about three inches longer and I'm loving it!  It's amazing what three inches will do.

Outfit post with this new length coming up real soon.

Quote of Today:
"I don't want to throw the bomb. You do it for me."

2 thoughts:

  1. yay! you got a machine!! and yay you already did something really awesome with it!

    I got surprised with some dresses from Modcloth for christmas and one is WAYYYY too short, but it is knit, so I opted to order a pair of cable knit leggings....do you think when people see my bumb now, they still are going to think they see my bumb?? Cause they are leggings...but if you ask me they look a lot like tights!
    lol. I come to you, the girl on fashion ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I think if you have a pair of cable knit leggings then it's fine. At that point your dresses are treading the fine line between dress and tunic, so I think it's fine. With leggings, I think your bum should be covered, and with dresses, you don't want to flash, so from the sounds of it you have all your bases covered! *pun intended* I've done that with short dresses too and I think it works. It's like what you said, they're cable knit leggings, so it's cool. No one's seeing anything they shouldn't.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ModaMama All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger